Lockdown Protocol 0.18.0 alpha released
This release brings some major graphical improvements. The most visible change is the new much more detailed human character model. Human enemies have also been updated to use this new model and they have been re-textured too. Several dynamic objects (like barrels and eggs) now cast shadows, which makes them fit in much better.
A completely new enemy type has been added. They are called "spiders" due to their similar looks, although they are nothing from this world.
I have finally recorded some up-to-date video footage too (the first one contains gameplay clips from 24th single player level, the latter shows the in-game level editor in action):
Here's full list of changes since 0.17.0 alpha release:
- Human character model were replaced with much better one (created by an actual artist).
- All human characters where re-textured.
- Added new enemy type called "spider" and a nest that spawns them.
- Added separate stand-crouch animation to make crouching look more natural.
- Added blob shadows to some dynamic objects like dragon eggs and barrels.
- Added bilinear filtering to sound map image sampling.
- Added prediction error filtering to smooth out jumps when client side prediction is wrong.
- Fixed anti-aliasing not working with glow filter enabled.
- Made player aim range a bit wider.
- Increased maximum client side prediction from 10 to 15 ticks (375ms).
- Implemented object orientation interpolation for visualization.
- Fixed a bug causing stronger glow effect horizontally than vertically.
- Always trace hits in shooter's local XY plane even when weapon is offset from it.
- Fixed flickering human shadows during jumping and crouching.
- Fixed bug causing invisible shadows getting updated.
- Prevented some objects from receiving shadows (for example lights and explosion fragments).
- Fixed newly created objects randomly sliding into position from outside of screen.
- Allow a bit longer fall without damage.
- Made editor pick closest element first when clicking on multiple overlapping elements.
- Added position triggered announcement voices.
- Added PS4 controller support (with DS4Tool driver in Windows).
- Always hide controller instructions when menu is open.
Next I will focus on improving the high score related features. There will be changes to how the score is calculated in the first place, because there are currently some "loopholes". I will also be experimenting with online leaderboards to see if such feature would be somehow feasible without requiring player registration.
Posted on 2014-06-08