Vote Lockdown Protocol for Indie of the Year on IndieDB
It's that time of the year again. Vote for Lockdown Protocol!
Posted on 2013-12-01
New Lockdown Protocol alpha video
Here's new video footage from the latest Lockdown Protocol release (alpha 0.15.0):
Posted on 2013-11-24
Lockdown Protocol 0.15.0 alpha release
This update brings two new single player levels, one new weapon and enemy mine as well as loads of bug fixes and minor visual improvements.
A lot of work has been done on the multiplayer match listing functionality to fix some long-standing bugs. These changes broke backwards compatibility so online match browsing no longer works in versions older than 0.15.0.
Here's full list of changes since 0.14.0 alpha release:
- Added a new enemy item called spike ball.
- Added a new weapon called zapper.
- Added two new single player levels.
- Major update on match listing server and according changes to client side.
- Fixed broken PS3 controller auto-detection.
- Added level completion time and kill count to "completion screen".
- Added small random variation to all looping animation speeds to make them look more natural.
- Added slight animation to dragon eggs.
- Added score penalty on death in single player game.
- Changed the dragon egg texture to better match other enemies.
- Added warning in editor when saving level with dynamic entities placed outside outer walls.
- Added default renderer configuration, only show configuration dialog on request.
- Disabled background music while editing levels.
- Allow a bit more movement while in air to ease precision jumping.
- Minor tweaks to existing levels.
- Fixed broken multiplayer match player count reporting.
- Fixed several potential network related dead-locks.
- Fixed multiplayer match online listing when re-using match name.
- Only show online matches with compatible game versions.
- Tweaked human stand pose a bit to prevent feet from penetrating floor.
- Fixed bug that made transparent smoke pixels block glow effect.
- Added left trigger button as optional reload button on gamepad.
- Fixed missing texture on grenade.
- Tweaked lighting in some of the existing levels.
- Hid score labels in multiplayer matches.
- Fixed HUD key card indicator not showing keys on client.
- Fixed random freezes in windows version when browsing online matches.
Posted on 2013-11-05
The refactoring and bug fixing work on online match listing server is mostly done. I already switched to work on the game itself again. I'm adding a new enemy item, the spike ball:
That's basically a mine that explodes when a human gets close enough or when it is shot at. The explosion sends all those spikes flying around. I especially like the way the flying spikes stick to walls. It is almost ready, I just need to create better sound effects for it.
I added a slight animation loop to both spike balls and dragon eggs to make them look more alive. All looping animations have now small random variation in their speed (in addition to randomized start phase) which makes overall movement on screen less synchronized and results in more natural look.
Posted on 2013-10-03
Multiplayer matchmaking fixes
I have begun fixing several long-standing multiplayer matchmaking related bugs in Lockdown Protocol, something that I have been postponing for a long time. The fix requires significant changes to both server and client side implementation, which is the main reason I have been avoiding it.
Now that I have to break backwards compatibility and get my hands dirty anyway, I might as well make some other improvements to the match making server. One thing I will be adding is support for multiple games, because the current implementation is pretty much dedicated to Lockdown Protocol. This is a small change, but will allow me to use the same server in future for other games too. There are also quite a few quick-and-dirty solutions in server code just waiting to be cleaned up..
When the networking stuff is done I intend to get back to creating new content for the game.
Posted on 2013-09-19
2013-09-01 Lockdown Protocol 0.14.0 alpha release
2013-08-07 Progress report
2013-07-09 Lockdown Protocol 0.13.0 alpha release
2013-07-02 Next release is shaping up
2013-06-09 Progress report
2013-05-22 Changing the physics engine part 2
2013-05-13 Changing the physics engine
2013-05-06 Lockdown Protocol 0.12.0 alpha release
2013-04-28 Website update
2013-04-23 No more hiding enemies
2013-04-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.11.0 alpha release
2013-04-07 Progress report
2013-02-25 Progress report
2013-02-08 The Platform Shooter 0.10.0 alpha release
2013-01-23 Level editor rework
2012-12-31 How to improve The Platform Shooter?
2012-12-25 The Platform Shooter 0.9.0 alpha release
2012-12-04 The Platform Shooter progress report
2012-10-29 Level sharing progress report
2012-10-24 The Platform Shooter 0.8.0 alpha release
2012-09-23 New video from The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha
2012-09-16 The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha release and 40% alpha discount
2012-09-04 The Platform Shooter 0.6.1 alpha release
2012-09-03 The Platform Shooter 0.6.0 alpha release
2012-07-10 The Platform Shooter 0.5.0 alpha release
2012-06-26 Plans for the future
2012-05-18 A little progress
2012-04-08 The Platform Shooter 0.4.0 alpha release
2012-03-18 Crouching and explosion improvements
2012-02-11 The Platform Shooter 0.3.0 alpha release
2012-01-26 Progress report
2012-01-07 Sentry guns and callable elevators
2011-12-14 The Platform Shooter 0.2.1 alpha release
2011-12-09 Bug fix release coming
2011-12-01 The Platform Shooter 0.2.0 alpha release
2011-11-21 Progress report
2011-11-06 Client side prediction rework
2011-10-22 Decal improvements
2011-10-20 Bend from the knees
2011-09-20 I can hear music!
2011-08-29 One bug fixed, one more revealed
2011-08-01 About mouse aiming
2011-06-20 The platform shooter public alpha release
2011-05-25 One more single player level
2011-05-22 First release is nearing
2011-05-10 A new game play video
2011-04-30 Level editor improvements
2011-04-20 Situation report
2011-03-23 Fighting network latency
2011-03-14 Level editor improvements and a HUD
2011-02-22 Single player level scoring
2011-02-13 Progress report and in-game video footage
2011-01-26 Network code changes
2010-12-22 The Platform Shooter
2010-08-16 Final Duel 2 is now free