Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.10 alpha released
A new alpha version of Hyper Ultra Astronautics is out and it's quite a big update. It was supposed to be even bigger, but I had to cut some of the planned features (like co-op high scores and score multipliers) because it was taking too long.
The reason I needed to get the update out sooner rather than later is that it fixes multiple major compatibility issues. The game completely refused to start on Linux with latest proprietary NVidia drivers. On some cases it randomly froze at exit or keyboard input was horribly laggy. All three issues should now be fixed. Let me know if you still see similar behavior.
The new features are mostly related to the survival co-op mode. There is one new boss and beginnings of a score system. You can collect items dropped by killed enemies to gain score, but there are no high-score tables yet. Main menu has been reorganized so that the co-op option is more visible. Many of the improvements affect the competitive modes too.
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.9 alpha:
- Added a new boss in survival mode.
- Made survival mode enemies drop collectible score items.
- Added projectile impact sounds on all enemy ships.
- Added missing dronefragment.png texture.
- Fixed random freezes when exiting game.
- Fixed crash in full-screen mode (X error: RRSetCrtcGamma) on Linux with recent NVidia GPU.
- Created a new mesh based teleport effect that better scales based on ship size.
- Added new less annoying drone shoot sound.
- Improved enemy spawn patterns to prevent overlap.
- Adjusted survival mode difficulty progression.
- Increased missile launch speed to make it harder to accidentally catch your own missiles.
- Made drones go look for target in the direction of hit when shot from a distance.
- Fixed mobile controller server connection issues on some PCs with multiple network interfaces.
- Updated GLFW to fix really laggy keyboard input in some cases.
- Added alternative "left handed" shoot keys to keyboard controllers.
- Added separate main menu entry for competitive and co-op matches.
- Added in-game controller layout help (under Settings -menu).
- Prevented spawning same power-up twice in a row.
- Don't spawn power-ups right in front of players to prevent accidental pickups.
- Initial player start-up positions are now arranged in a grid.
- Renamed players based on their controllers and removed player settings menu.
- Added common score counter to top right corner of arena in survival match.
- Removed last bit of randomization from background and lighting color.
- Prevented damage from "friendly fire" in survival mode.
Updated packages are available for download on Itch.io page. Check out the game page here for fresh screenshots and updated information.
Back to home
Posted on 2017-04-27